b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 14:18-22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: James Spinti <jspinti AT eisenbrauns.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 14:18-22
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 15:00:54 -0700

James:

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 8:29 AM, James Spinti <jspinti AT eisenbrauns.com>wrote:

> Karl,
>
> I don't know where you got your chronology, but it has serious problems.
> How do you account for all the stuff happening in the Levant, Cyprus,
> mainland Greece, Asia Minor, and Mesopotamia at the same time? The current
> chronology used in the ANE doesn't depend on Egypt; it depends on the
> Akkadian year-lists. Hatti was destroyed in around 1192 BCE, as was Ugarit.
>
> But, that doesn't fit your theories, so throw it out.
>
> Just out of curiosity, what sources are you using that would lower the
> chronology by 400-500 or more years?
>
> Genuinely curious,
> James

Actually from several sources.

At least four or five sources on the El Amarna letters, not all of them in
favor of redating, all gave the same data that the pictures best fit the
ninth to eighth centuries BC. They do not fit the late bronze age.

This site, while many of its conclusions are flakey in my opinion, yet they
present much archaeological data, much of it pretty devastating to the
academic picture of dates, http://www.specialtyinterests.net/ .

There are at least two professional archaeologists who gave evidence for the
Exodus occurring during the 13th dynasty, one of them in favor of redating,
the other not.

So it was from several sources that I say that Egyptian history is a royal
mess.