b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 14:18-22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Donald Vance <donaldrvance AT me.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 14:18-22
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 14:39:17 -0700

Donald:

I asked earlier what documents in Canaan from the time of Abraham survive to
this day for us to understand Canaanite society? From all that I have heard
so far, the answer is none besides Genesis.

James brought up Ugarit. But Ugarit, even at the oldest dating, is centuries
after Abraham and there are indications that it is presently dated way too
old, that a more accurate dating would put it a millennium after Abraham.
The same is true of Hatti. So how accurate are those relatively late
documents in describing what Abram was dealing with? Was Salem a Jebusite
city at the time of Abram? Or did the Jebusites take over the city later,
long after Melchizedek left the scene but before Joshua?

So to which early second millennium Canaanite documents that are still
extent do you refer?

Oh yes, ancient Egyptian chronology before the Greek era is a royal mess, so
any date derived by cross referencing to an Egyptian date is also wrong.

Karl W. Randolph.