b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] SOBIY

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] SOBIY
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 17:59:05 -0400

In my book it is HA-ADAM. Copyist errors are common in the latter Hebrew books. The scribe had, possibly, still DAN in his mind when he moved ahead to write ADAN.
These errors are a gold mine for those looking to "coin" new words out of the old wisdom, HAMROROT. A notorious example is GOFAN גופן 'font', which is evidently due to the miss-reading the R in in the greek word GRAPHEN גרפן as a Waw.

Isaac Fried, Boston University