b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] SOBIY

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] SOBIY
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 23:09:51 +0300

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 8:30 PM, Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu> wrote:
> 1. Concerning Mishnaic Hebrew, I don't know what was there in the background
> and what was "developed".
> 2.  מי הוא זה ואי זה הוא אשר מלאו לבו to say adan for adam? Did he mean
> ADON?

One text that sticks in my mind:
Yoshua ben PeraHya : ...
והוי דן כל אדן לכף זכות
Avot 1.6
Codex Kaufmann
This is how words like כאן developed out of כה, too.

anyway, it's not the way things are in the Bible and its not the way
we talk today. But undestandable.

--
Randall Buth, PhD
www.biblicallanguagecenter.com