b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] A question for Isaac Fried

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] A question for Isaac Fried
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 18:35:36 -0200

isaac,

>>> But there are exceptions: there is a dagesh in the G of XOGU, following a
>>> xolam.

can you send me the reference? clearly if it comes from XGG then, from my
point of view,

a dagesh on the G is required! if it comes from XWG then i cannot explain it.

>>> We see that a dagesh follows HA-, yet it is absent in HA-MDABR-IYM
>>> הַמְדַבְּרִים of Ex.6:27. Why?

maybe the second dagesh forte is the reason why the first dagesh forte was
removed.

just for the argument, let's assume dagesh forte did signal consonant
gemination. then it would be difficult

to maintain BOTH geminations in sequence for reasons of meter, in HAMEDABRIM.
try it!

now, since the second dagesh is SHORSHI, the first dagesh is sacrificed.

voila...

nir cohen