b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] SOBIY

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew Forum <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] SOBIY
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 21:15:41 -0400

1. You are right, the Hebrew pronunciation of the Yemenite Jews was probably influenced by the Arabic of their neighbors.

2. It is conceivable that no one ever spoke biblical Hebrew ––– biblical Hebrew may have never been a spoken language. King David spoke biblical Hebrew to his God, but to Mikal to Abigail, to Axinoam, to Maakah, to Xagit, to Abital, to Eglah, to Bat Sheva, to Abishag, and to their children he spoke, I imagine, a lighter, less inflected version of Hebrew, known today as MI (Modern Israeli).

3. Hebrew was apparently not spoken (or only sporadically spoken) for long periods of time, but at any given moment of time, tens of thousands of Jews (men mostly) have prayed in Hebrew, have read the prophets, listened to the Torah being read aloud in their houses of worship, and eagerly studied the Mishnah and the Talmud, and their interpreters. Also, remarkable Hebrew poetry and prose never ceased to be produced, even by people who never spoke everyday Hebrew.

4. I would trust the NAQDANIYM that they new what they were doing.

Isaac Fried, Boston University