b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] A question for Isaac Fried

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] A question for Isaac Fried
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 14:51:15 -0400

You are right, yet factually, I still notice that the dagesh in piel is after a xiriq, as expected. In DIBAR-TIY, 'I spoke', for instance, there is a dagesh "forte" in the B following a xiriq, and a "postponed" dagesh, or a dagesh "lene", in the T, following a lagging behind patax.
You are also right in saying that a dagesh forte is always present in second radical, of say, DBR, even if marked by a schwa, but still, this dagesh faithfully follows a patax or a xiriq, for instance, DIBRAH, 'she spoke'. This is why Hebrew grammarians call it a dagesh TABNITIY, yet the name says nothing beyond the observable.

The dagesh in pual follows a qubuc, also as expected. In KUBAD-TIY, 'I was honored', for instance, there is a dagesh "forte" in the B following a xiriq, and a "postponed" dagesh, or a dagesh "lene", in the T following a lagging behind patax.

The dagesh in hitpael follows a patax, also as expected. In HI-ZDAQAP- TIY, 'I stood up', for instance, there is a dagesh "lene" in the D, following a lagging xiriq, a dagesh "forte" in the Q, following a patax, and a dagesh "lene" in the T, following a lagging behind patax. The Z and the P, marked by schwa, are un-dageshed.

and so on.

But there are exceptions: there is a dagesh in the G of XOGU, following a xolam.

We see that a dagesh follows HA-, yet it is absent in HA-MDABR-IYM הַמְדַבְּרִים of Ex.6:27. Why?

In any event, I am not passing judgement on what causes what, only stating what I see.

Isaac Fried, Boston University