b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] A question for Isaac Fried

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] A question for Isaac Fried
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 14:38:07 -0200

isaac,

how about: piel always has a dagesh forte on the second consonant ?
(except for gutturals etc)

this is true in past, present, future,
infinitive, and even in non-verbal units derived from piel: $ILUXIM, TIPUL,
DIBUR, DIBER, RIPUD, SIPUR, SIPORET, QIBUL, QIBOLET, $IPUC, NIQUD, DIGU$,
RIGU$, XILUL, ZIMUN, QABLANUT, CABA(, NAQDANUT, etc etc

this seems to be part of the definition of piel.

clearly, XOQ HAHAVAROT precedes this dagesh with a "short vowel", and then
(methinks) you put the cart before the horse and justify the dagesh by the
vowel, when clearly it is the other way around.

for the dagesh is ALWAYS there, past, future, present, infinitive,
non-verbal - but the nyqud changes all the time.

SIPER: xiriq, SUPAR: qubuc, MESAPER: patax etc etc

a similar phenomenon can be found in hitpael: past, present, future,
infinitive and most non-verbal units unless there is an additional problem
with XOQ HAHAVAROT. for example: HI$TAKER, $IKOR but $IKhRUT.

nir cohen