b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hiphil?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hiphil?
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 08:41:33 +0000

Karl, I suspect the transliteration to 'Havenu' (rather than 'Hevenu') is due
to English pronunciation, rather than Hebrew. It's similar, I believe, to the
way 'Hallelujah' is often transliterated as 'Alleluia'.

To answer Sébastien's question, the reason for the different vowel under the
ה prefix of the Hiphil has to do with the three-consonant root being used. If
the root is 'strong' (i.e. no weak consonants), then the vowel under the
prefixed ה is hireq (at least in the Qatal/Perfect conjugation). But if your
root contains a weak consonant, you can find the vowel changing to sere or
even holem-waw.

If you get a grammar book, you should be able to consult verb tables (usually
at the back) to show you the various permutations with the root.

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au