b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hiphil?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hiphil?
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 16:30:22 -0800

Randall:

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 1:18 AM, Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Finally,
> > My understanding (I have not seen it in Hebrew)

Every time I had seen this transliterated into English, it was “Havenu
shalom …” which clearly is not a hiphil. I thought Sébastian had merely made
a typo when he wrote the transliteration “Hevenu …”

> is that this is
> > from the irregularly conjugated verb YHB,

Concerning this verb, it is used 22 times (according to a concordance) and
not once does it have the initial yod nor other indication that one should
be there. So where does the traditional root YHB come from?

This is also an example of why one needs to be careful about etymology:
there is a homograph HBH which has a different meaning, used in Genesis 11
and Exodus 1:10. It really should be listed separately from YHB.