b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hiphil?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hiphil?
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 07:35:40 -0800

George:

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 12:41 AM, George Athas
<George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>wrote:

> Karl, I suspect the transliteration to 'Havenu' (rather than 'Hevenu') is
> due to English pronunciation, rather than Hebrew. It's similar, I believe,
> to the way 'Hallelujah' is often transliterated as 'Alleluia'.
>
> This one I know. This is a transliteration of a transliteration (I’m not
sure if Latin is also involved) where absent the accent marks in modern
printings, the Greek did not have a visual indication of the initial ‘h’, if
it even pronounced it at all.

As for where havenu came from, I have no idea. When one is the only one in a
group that knows Hebrew and is handed a messed up transliteration like that,
one is reduced to guessing.

> If you get a grammar book, you should be able to consult verb tables
> (usually at the back) to show you the various permutations with the root.

They are also available on line.