b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] gen 16:12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: B Chan <bh-chan AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] gen 16:12
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 07:09:46 +0000

Actually, I am not so convinced about that. The first clue is Hagar's very
enthusiastic reponse to the message. Why would Hagar receive וְה֤וּא יִהְיֶה֙
פֶּ֣רֶא אָדָ֔ם with joy?

I think the message is that Ishmael will be a free-ranging creature,
untrammelled by earthly authority, in contradistinction to Hagar's servitude.
cf. the treatment in Job 39:5

The upshot is that the blessing formula is AT LEAST ambiguous, and PROBABLY
positive to Hagar, for her to respond in the manner that she did. Therefore
"what did the message communicate to her" is something that we should be
getting at.

B. Chan