b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Gen 16:12 Hand Against?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: B Chan <bh-chan AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Gen 16:12 Hand Against?
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 15:13:34 +0000

Hi everybody.

I would like to start a discussion about Gen16:12, particularly the part
which is traditionally translated "His hand will be against everyone, and
everyone's hand will be against him." - יָדֹ֣ו בַכֹּ֔ל וְיַ֥ד כֹּ֖ל

There is a view held by some that this portion could just as easily been
regarded as striking one's hand against another in trade (cf. Prov 22:26a).
This view draws support from the generally positive blessing to which Hagar
reacts extremely positively. In this view, the portion could just as well be
translated "He will trade with everybody, and everybody with him." (cf.
http://arabchurch.wordpress.com/additional-readings/additional-readings-2/)

I tried digging into as much material as I could lay hands on (pardon the
pun), but most commentators either do not discuss the Hebrew, or cursorily
show the traditional interpretation.

Is this alternative interpretation correct? Care to discuss? (Note: I am
asking because I am involved in translation work for an upcoming scripture
project.)

B Chan