b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Gen 16:12 Hand Against?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: B Chan <bh-chan AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Gen 16:12 Hand Against?
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 13:48:28 +0000

Thank you, Jim!

Your conclusions were very much the same as the ones I had when I first
wrote. But, to put it bluntly, translations (such as the ones I am dealing
with) often tend to follow the weight of English authorities. I needed
something more rigorous than hunches to support any movement away from
accepted English interpretations.

To "preserve the ambiguity of the Hebrew in ... translation" is as you
correctly say, the the ideal approach. This will not be easy, given the
target language, but it will be the topmost priority.

Besides the "Diselection" book (which I will procure), do you have any other
discussions or dissertations bearing on the subject? Does anyone on the list
have anything to add? Anecdotally, there was a lady from Israel who when
confronted with the dilemma said that the traditional English interpretations
were "impossible"! That strange incident, of course, is hardly a valid
argument for the linguistic committee!

B. Chan