b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] qatal-wayiqtol

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] qatal-wayiqtol
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 15:05:57 -0600

Hello Nir;

Thanks for your comments. Your observations and amusing examples about
context, I fully concur.

The rules that I distilled in my prior post, resulted from the comments I
hear here ....

But if you would like to hear my personal opinion about these two verb
forms, I can only say: "I call it like I see it."

You asked for specific examples.

Let's take 1 Samuel 1:5.

a. first verb; prefixed form; yi-ten, יתן . The context of that verb
instructs me to read "he gave."

b. second verb; suffixed form; ah-hev; אהב . The context of that verb
instructs me to read: "he loved."

c. third verb; suffixed form; sa-gar; סגר . The context of that verb
instructs me to read "he closed."

Or Isaiah 65:17.

a. last verb; prefixed form; ta-ah-le-na; תעלינה . The context of that verb
instructs me to read "they shall ascend."

b. second to last verb; prefixed form; ti-za-har-na; תזכרנה . The context of
that verb instructs me to read "they shall be remembered."

Perhaps a lot more levels of meaning were encoded into these words. I don't
know. I have not thought about that.

i simply would like to get straight in my mind ... the plain and visible
meaning first. ... and foremost.

And for me, where tension arises between context on the one hand; and a rule
of tense or aspect about verb form
on other; .... I defer to context; and let context rule the day. .... :)

regards,

fred burlingame