b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] qatal-wayiqtol

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>, fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] qatal-wayiqtol
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 12:00:45 -0300

isaac, fred,

1) 1 sam 1:5

On Fri, 4 Feb 2011 07:34:30 -0500, Isaac Fried wrote
> 1. First of all you are instructed to recognize YI as 'he', referring to
> EL-KAN-AH. Then you are instructed to recognize TEN as 'give'. Then you are
> instructed to use your, God given, ample intelligence to get the picture.
> 2. SAGAR is devoid of identity markers and is therefore preceded by 'and
> God'.
>
> Isaac Fried, Boston University
>
> On Feb 3, 2011, at 4:05 PM, fred burlingame wrote:
> a. first verb; prefixed form; yi-ten, יתן . The context of that verb
> instructs me to read "he gave." as i see it, the choice of future tense
> here serves two purposes:
1) style: avoiding a second use of the PA'AL  form, given the "natan" in the
previous verse.
2) aspect: to emphasize the repetitive nature of the giving action, along
with the expression "miyamim yamima" which
precedes this verse. english would rather choose here "he used to give" or
even "he would give".

2) isa 65:17:

i guess the choice of present form of "bore" (i create) serves two purposes
related to aspect:
1) to hint that the creation process has already begun (at least as a plan)
2) to contrast this creation with the forgetting of the old world, which
would only occur after this creation
had been terminated.

nir cohen