b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] guess work

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] guess work
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 22:12:28 -0800

On 5 Jan 2011 at 21:17, fred burlingame wrote:

> i do not believe that most college educated people in america today
> can pick
> up the book of isaiah or ezekiel (in english language), read it,
> and
> understand its multiple layer metaphors .... much less hear it
> read
> once, and understand it. ditto for the song of moses in
> deuteronomy.
>
> What about people who have no formal education such 882 b.c., judah?
> Who
> have never read a written book or scroll? Even less so the
> comprehension of
> an elevated expression of the language such as isaiah.
>
> people speak and write differently. you are projecting your years
> of
> studying written hebrew onto the goat herder of 882 b.c., judah who
> never
> read a written book.

You just love making these illegitimate comparisons, don't you? The song of
Moses in
Deuteronomy is from a totally different age, translated from a different
language and culture.
Likewise Ezekiel and Isaiah. But if you really want to compare
understanding, a better
comparison would be the average American reading a newspaper. Most papers
are written
in language that the general populace can follow, since English is their
native language and
the forms and figures used are those taken from everyday life. Your
hypothetical goat
herder would have been in the same situation with Deuteronomy, because it was
written in
his native language, used images that he was intimately familiar with, and
talked about
concepts that he had learned from his parents beginning at a very early age.
So again you
want to compare apples and rabbits. Please get it through your head that
these
comparisons are not valid, and stop trying to use them.

> the pomegranate seller on the street does not speak in the language
> of the
> song of moses.

And precisely how do you know this? You haven't cited a single shred of
evidence beyond
your apples-to-rabbits comparisons. You've gotten some excellent instruction
and advice
from some of the outstanding scholars that we get to rub shoulders with on
this list. Maybe
you should listen to them and rethink your unsupportable ideas.

Dave Washburn

http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur