b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] guess work

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <pzellmer AT sc.rr.com>
  • To: "'fred burlingame'" <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: 'B-Hebrew' <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] guess work
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 13:31:21 -0500

Fred,

How do you come to that conclusion? Every language that I have studied has
words that are close synonyms whose meanings are nuanced to some degree.
And those nuances, while not necessarily immediately recognized by
non-native speakers, are well recognized by the "average" native speaker.
There are times that an "average" native speaker might not be able to
describe the nuances to a non-native speaker, but he still recognizes that
there is a slight difference in semantic domain. I see no difference in the
Hebrew language that would preclude this innate recognition by the "average"
native speaker during the time that Hebrew enjoyed the status of lingua
franca for the twelve tribes.

Nehemiah 8:8 describes a population that did not have Hebrew as their
everyday language.

Deuteronomy 31:9-13 says nothing about the people not understanding the
language, just that they needed to be reminded of the message and their
responsibility to obey the commands.

All this being said, a question still remains: even if you were correct
(which studies have indicated that you are not) in your continued
proposition that the Tanach was not for "consumption" by the average Hebrew
person, what impact does that have on our study of the linguistic aspects of
the texts (as opposed to the applications or theological significances of
the texts)?

Paul Zellmer