b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Was the MT for public consumption?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David P Donnelly <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Was the MT for public consumption?
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 09:58:13 -0500

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 08:06:48 EST 2010 wrote:

"The Leningrad Codex is merely a preservation of a document that was
written
mostly during that period, with additional marks to aid the non-scholar
in
its reading."

Isn't the text of the Leningrad Codex believed to be an accurate
representation of the pronunciation of a
much earlier "Unpointed Hebrew Text" as it was preserved in a Jewish
Oral Tradition?

Or did an earlier version of a Masoretic Text accomplish the preservation
of the pronunciation of the "Unpointed Hebrew Text"?

It was my impression that every variant of YHWH found in Codex L. that is
now rendered as "Adonai", and that every variant of YHWH found in Codex
L. that is now rendered as "Elohim", was pointed as it is today, because
of information found in a preserved oral tradition of how the Jewish
people pronounced the "Unpointed Hebrew Text of their day.

Don't the consonants that occur in the Leningrad Codex almost match
perfectly with those consonants found in the dead sea scrolls?

Dave Donnelly
Mortgage Rates Hit 2.99%
If you owe under $729k you probably qualify for Gov't Refi Programs
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4d14b56e3d088151b8st04duc