b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Was the MT for public consumption?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: David P Donnelly <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Was the MT for public consumption?
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 10:27:04 -0800

David:

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 6:58 AM, David P Donnelly
<davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>wrote:

> K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
> Fri Dec 24 08:06:48 EST 2010 wrote:
>
> "The Leningrad Codex is merely a preservation of a document that
> was written mostly during that period, with additional marks to aid the
> non-scholar in its reading."

> Isn't the text of the Leningrad Codex believed to be an
> accurate representation of the pronunciation of a much earlier "Unpointed
> Hebrew Text" as it was preserved in a Jewish Oral Tradition?

Some believe it is so, but there is no evidence that the vowel points
preserve anything other than the local dialectal pronunciation of Hebrew at
that time.

> Or did an earlier version of a Masoretic Text accomplish the
> preservation of the pronunciation of the "Unpointed Hebrew Text"?

Nope.

> It was my impression that every variant of YHWH found in Codex L. that
> is now rendered as "Adonai", and that every variant of YHWH found in
> Codex L. that is now rendered as "Elohim", was pointed as it is today,
> because of information found in a preserved oral tradition of how the
> Jewish people pronounced the "Unpointed Hebrew Text of their day.

“Of their day”, namely the tradition of the Masoretic period. But what about
1000 years earlier? 2000 years?

> Don't the consonants that occur in the Leningrad Codex almost
> match perfectly with those consonants found in the dead sea scrolls?

Yes, almost perfectly. But because the vowels were not preserved, we don’t
know the pronunciation of the DSS.