b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] crackpot idea psalm 22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <pzellmer AT sc.rr.com>
  • To: <steve AT voiceinwilderness.info>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] crackpot idea psalm 22
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 08:05:51 -0500

Steve,

I was trying to return the thread back to Kenneth's original proposal, so I
decided not to list the few documents in which the marginal reading was
found. I listed the LXX because that was apparently on the path that the
standard modern translation took. But you're right, the specific sources
listed by BHS were DSS fragments.

As for כארי, it may not make any sense to us to translate it "like a lion,"
but it must have meant something to scribes who passed on the document.
Otherwise, wouldn't we have found a qere here? Or do you have another
proposal why this is the form found in the overwhelming majority of sources?

Paul Zellmer