b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] crackpot idea psalm 22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <pzellmer AT sc.rr.com>
  • To: "'Antonio Garcia'" <garcia.secretariagh.antonio1 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, greifer AT hotmail.com
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] crackpot idea psalm 22
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 19:37:09 -0500

Actually, Antonio, I did see your posting of two months ago. At that time,
I got the same impression that Karl Randolph expressed in his response to
you, that you seemed to have “to change the wording of the Psalms to fit
your readings.” And, as he predicted, I, for one, “reject[ed] your theory
on that basis alone.” So, I’m sorry to say, I did not tie your request for
the structure of Psalm 22 with that September post, since I had already
dismissed the theory.

I believe your proposal was actually for Psalm 123, was it not? I see
nothing in the text to support “the story and trial of rape of a slave by
his master.” If you are expressing a desire for a similar fabrication of an
unsupported interpretation of Psalm 22, I’m not sure anyone besides you on
this list would even attempt the task.

Psalm 22 is seen by the Christians on this list as being a prophetic
description of the crucifixion of Jesus. It’s interesting (at least to me)
that the term that Kenneth Greifer proposed a translation of “dug” and that
others (including the Christians) translate as “are pierced” is considered
as marginal in the BHS, and only found in a very few manuscripts. I really
don’t have any good idea of the meaning of the idiom כארי ידי ורגלי (as the
lion [are] my hands and my feet), which is the generally accepted text. But
I would be very surprised if it has the meaning of digging. The marginal
texts (כרו or כארו) seems to come from כור, which appears to imply digging a
hole using a sharp implement, and not כרה, which is a more general term.
The LXX interpretation supports this distinction, again using a word which
means to dig a hole with a sharp instrument (as opposed to dig in general).
So I would agree with Kenneth’s own initial evaluation, “I don’t think it is
right….”

Paul Zellmer