b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] crackpot idea psalm 22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "'Paul Zellmer'" <pzellmer AT sc.rr.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] crackpot idea psalm 22
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 21:16:27 -0500

> From: Paul Zellmer Sent: Saturday, November 13, 2010 8:06 AM
>
> Steve,
>
> I was trying to return the thread back to Kenneth's original proposal, so
I decided
> not to list the few documents in which the marginal reading was found. I
listed the
> LXX because that was apparently on the path that the standard modern
translation
> took. But you're right, the specific sources listed by BHS were DSS
fragments.

[Steve Miller] Thanks Paul. Maybe you could help me understand what my BHS
(1997) means here. It lists a caaru reading and a caru reading from "Edd",
which is "editions textus Hebraici secundum Kennicott, de Rossi et Ginsburg
cf Ms(s)". I thought these were MT manuscripts. Are these actually DSS? My
BHS uses a fancy shaped Q for the DSS, but it does not give that symbol for
Ps 22:17. I knew of the 2 DSS fragments from "The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible"
and from discussions on this list. Also "The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible" says
that some MT mss support caru.

> As for כארי, it may not make any sense to us to translate it "like a
lion,"
> but it must have meant something to scribes who passed on the document.
> Otherwise, wouldn't we have found a qere here? Or do you have another
proposal
> why this is the form found in the overwhelming majority of sources?

[Steve Miller] I don't think it is meaningful to say that cari is found in
the overwhelming majority of sources. It is more meaningful to say that it
is found in the overwhelming majority of the MT sources (or maybe it is all
the MT sources), but LXX and DSS support caru. The MT sources are not
independent, but were unified by the Masoretes. So just about any MT reading
would be found in the overwhelming majority of MT sources. When both LXX and
DSS agree on a reading, that is strong evidence to me that it is the correct
one. In this case there is even more witness because the 2 DSS fragments
are independent, caaru being from Nahal Hever, and caru from Qumram.

When I say "like a lion" does not make sense, it is because the sentence
needs a verb. It does not make absolutely no sense. The Massoretes may have
guessed that they could add their own verb as JPS does, "like a lion <they
are at> my hands and my feet", which should be avoided.
-Steve Miller
Detroit

> Paul Zellmer

- Albert