b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] the hellenization of isaiah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] the hellenization of isaiah
  • Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 19:19:27 -0500

Dear Yigal:

Thanks for your prompt and responsive reply to my inquiry.

I am not sure that I understand the reasoning underlying the majority
scholarly opinion that the new testament authored in greek versus hebrew.

Please permit me to outline some relevant timelines.

1. The oldest hebrew old testament manuscripts (codex leningrad and codex
aleppo), circa 1,000 a.d., generally accepted as proof for the hebrew
language autograph of the old testament; and notwithstanding the 2,000 year
lapse between autograph and manuscripts.

2. The oldest greek manuscripts of the new testament (codex vaticanus and
codex sinaiticus), circa 350 a.d., generally accepted as proof of the greek
language autograph of the new testament; and notwithstanding the 300 year
lapse between autograph and manuscripts.

3. The oldest hebrew manuscript of the mishna (codex kaufmann) circa 1,000
a.d., generally accepted as proof of the hebrew language autograph of the
mishna; and notwithstanding the 800 year lapse between autograph and
manuscript.

To sum up: the scholarly community apparently experiences no problem
accepting the conclusion of hebrew language autographs for jerusalem and
juda events preceding and succeeding new testament events. But when it comes
to events occurring between old testament and mishna, the scholarly
community suddenly changes tack, and asserts the greek language as the
source of the new testament autographs.

I am but a humble student of hebrew. Something however, doesn't appear
consistent about such reasoning. The new testament, be it true or false, was
apparently written in, by, for, and about the hebrew inhabitants of
jerusalem and juda; who in turn spoke and wrote hebrew before and after such
new testament events.

The numerosity of greek new testament manuscripts dated some 300 to 1,000
years after the events in question, would appear to imply a conclusion of
greek autograph, no more than the huge number of english language bibles
today imply a conclusion of english language autograph for the new
testament.

Perhaps the time has arrived for hebrew scholars to attempt a hebrew
re-translation of the greek manuscripts? Certainly, many other hebrew
manuscripts available such as evan bohen.

regards,

fred burlingame