b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] the hellenization of isaiah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Sarah J. Blake" <sarah AT growingstrong.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] the hellenization of isaiah
  • Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 23:47:06 -0500

Hello Sarah:

Thanks for your comments.

I offer the following response.

Whether or not the new testament record is true, it unequivocally testifies
for the hebrew and not the greek language.

When Paul was threatened by an angry hebrew crowd at the temple, did he
attempt to save his life by speaking greek or hebrew? Acts 21:40; 22:2
testify to the latter language. Indeed the hebrews were stirred to anger
and action because Paul had brought greeks into the temple. Acts 21:28, 31.

The gospels were written to convince and witness to the hebrews first, that
their promised Savior had arrived and would deliver them from the roman and
greek chains.

The idea that their sacred gospels could have been or were written in the
language of one of their historic enemies ( latin or greek or syrian ((
aramaic )) or egyptian) is simply not credible on the record of the n.t.,
itself.

Regards,

fred burlingame

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 10:40 PM, Sarah J. Blake
<sarah AT growingstrong.org>wrote:

> Romans 1:16 does not indicate anything about the language of authorship,
> imho. It indicates, otoh, that the gospel is intended both for Jew and
> Gentile. Reading the rest of Romans, it becomes apparent that the churches
> reading this text include both Jewish and Gentile members. This would not
> indicate that they were speaking Hebrew.
>
> Sarah J. Blake
> Personal correspondence: sjblake AT growingstrong.org
> http://www.growingstrong.org
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "fred burlingame" <tensorpath AT gmail.com

>>> exercise. This has been done, for example by Franz Delitch. So what would