b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The most difficult

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: William Parsons <wbparsons AT alum.mit.edu>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The most difficult
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 16:01:34 +0300

Me too. This is evidently a very complex task. When people make what seem to
be subjective judgements of translation there is evidently a very complex
and objective neural process underlying their decision making process. I
would suggest that semantic fields associated with words has a lot to do
with it and that usage in certain contexts dictates which meaning of a word
was meant and therefore which translation would be judged best.

Of course, then we get into a play off with fidelity and fluency where the
two may at times come to heads and disagree. Perhaps we could be talking
about some kind of f-measure like with precision weighed against recall.

James Christian