b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The most difficult

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The most difficult
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 07:09:38 +0200

Thank you, Karl.
I think of a general difficulty.
And so to my sense it is more easy to translate the book of Ruth than to
translate some Psalms.
Maybe we could say that narrative texts are more easily translated than, so
to say, philosophic texts.
Gn 37, which tells us Joseph's selling (by his brothers) to men who went to
Egypt .... is more easy to translate than some fragments of Qohelet...

Some chapters of Exodus are more easily translated than, say, several verses
in the Proverbs... which are rather of philosophic nature...

And so on.

Then, maybe some chapters in Ezekiel would be between the most difficult to
translate? Or perhaps some pieces of Lamentations?

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain)