b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The most difficult

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The most difficult
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 10:37:44 -0700

Pere:

The first step in translating is understanding the text.

Most difficult book to read? Off the top of my head, it probably is
Lamentations. Except for a couple of verses, Proverbs is pretty easy. Job is
sort of middling difficult, but if one starts at the beginning of chapters,
most of the book follows the flow. Like you said, the history books are
easy, except for the first ten chapters of Chronicles—that long list of
names gets deadly. Ezekiel’s main difficulty lies not so much in the
language he uses, but in the concepts he struggles to describe. Some Psalms
are difficult, some easy, but for the most part are easy to middling
difficulty.

All in all, I would say that that you are right that poetry is more
difficult to read than prose, and that the simplest prose is found in the
history books.

Like I said before, I haven’t made a list of verses that I think are
difficult to read, so I can’t give a list of individual verses.

Of course I am reading without points, I may sing a different tune if I had
to justify some of the points that I presently conclude are wrong.

Karl W. Randolph.