b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Pharaoh Khepera'a in Jeremiah 44:30

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Pharaoh Khepera'a in Jeremiah 44:30
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 14:39:58 -0700 (PDT)

   Opinions and impressions will vary.

   Anyone interested in biblical historicity owes Kitchen
a great deal of gratitude for the tremendous collection of
extra-biblical sources he gathered in support of his
position.

   Skipping over his major contributions directly to
to the issue raised by George:
    To my mind Kitchen's sharp attacks on various
minimalists are justified and very articulate. He
often responds directly to their quotes.
     His comments on Thompson are prsented in  six spefific
points discussed with detail in six pages (pp 450 -458).
      His critique of Lemche is as detailed in
  four pages (pp 458 - 462). And so forth. Obviously
he does not dismiss opinions he rejects with just a couple
words.

   True, his style is lively. I for one find the lack
of pomposity refreshing.

    And yes, every work of scholarship deserves a cautious
approach. But criticsm should involve refutation of the
arguments of scholarly oponents, exactly as our author
does.

   Uri Hurwitz                          Wilmington VT

A slight aside to advise some caution about Kitchen's book mentioned by Uri.
Much of what Kitchen writes in attacking the minimalist position is
characterised more by vitriol than logical reasoning. I get the impression
that he does not fully understand the minimalist position. I myself am not a
minimalist (though, annoyingly, I'm often mistaken for one), but I find
Kitchen's approach quite unscholarly at times, producing more 'heat' than
'light'.

My subjective 2 cents...

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au