b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Pharaoh Khepera'a in Jeremiah 44:30

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Pharaoh Khepera'a in Jeremiah 44:30
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 14:22:00 +1000

Passion is fine. Vitriol is, I believe, unnecessary these days. We can
conduct scholarship without it. In any case, I find some of Kitchen's
arguments unconvincing. They have assumptions and logical leaps which, as far
as I can tell, either ignore certain aspects of 'minimalist' arguments, or
don't understand them properly. I'm not saying he has nothing to contribute.
Far from it. But I think his arguments are often lacking some essence.

And, Will, without starting up a discussion on minimalism...

Minimalism argues that when reconstructing history, the Bible should be used
minimally, if at all, since it is either unreliable, too far removed from the
events, or not aiming to be historical anyway. Maximalism argues that the
Bible should be used in historical reconstruction because it is totally
reliable about historical facts. And there's an entire spectrum between these
two poles.

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au