b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Initial Consonant Clusters in Biblical Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Initial Consonant Clusters in Biblical Hebrew
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 06:24:36 +0300

Hello Jim,

Yes, Jim, and eveyrone, that word is a typo. It should read "That's not
how it works in scholarship."

Jim, you're misleading the readers here when you say there is no
evidence that Ka&dim was used for the Chaldeans. (I do not suggest
it was a "forerunner") . The word Ka&dim does not occur in a vacuum.
We have plenty of evidence that Ka&dim was used for the 1st Millenium
Babylonians -- as in 2 Kings 24-25. Also, the letter &in is (based on
comparative knowledge) a lateral. It was in Proto-Semitic, and in
Biblical Hebrew as well, the voiceless counterpart of the lamed, just
like Dad was the emphatic counterpart.

Also, I did not ask you for your view about K&DYM in Genesis. But
you are still ignoring the evidence I put forth regarding consonant
clusters in Hebrew and you've still provided no evidence that the
Kassite name ever had an /sh/ sound. Just because we know very
little of Kassite does not mean we can pick what we like form Hurrian,
Hittite, and Indo-European languages in order to make it sound the
way we like. It is also unlikely that the Hebrew author of Genesis
chose to encode the Kassite name Karduniash in such a way that
only you would recognize it.

Yitzhak Sapir