b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Initial Consonant Clusters in Biblical Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kevin Riley <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • To: B Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Initial Consonant Clusters in Biblical Hebrew
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 09:14:32 +1000

Or it could be an Italian form of an old German word for Germans, perhaps inherited from the Lombards? It would then be cognate with not only Tysk, but also Deutsch and a whole host of other words used to refer to the language of Germanic people - we even have the word 'Teutonic' in English. That is, of course, if you actually believe in cognates being useful, otherwise it is probably just a coincidence.

Kevin Riley