b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Dating the Book of Ruth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Dating the Book of Ruth
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 12:06:40 +0300

On 6/2/10, Yigal Levin wrote:
> [...]

The issues with reference to nobility were raised with regard to the late Iron
Age. At that time we have epigraphic evidence for a lot of Yahwistic names,
but we might argue that this represented only the situation in the nobility,
and in the common illiterate masses the situation was different and the
names were not Yahwistic.

But if the story and names were composed at that time, then, as you say,
the family was made noble retroactively -- illustrated in the story by such
elements as the lineage from Peretz, or Boaz who has done well. So the
use of non-Yahwistic names, especially for Boaz, is significant.

Yitzhak Sapir