b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Dating the Book of Ruth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Dating the Book of Ruth
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 06:05:20 +0300

If, as Dave has pointed out, most of these name are attested in other
Western Semitic sources, they would not seem to be totally "made up". And as
"real" names, they may have independent meanings other than those that
George has suggested. However, the fact that they are used in the story for
the characters whom they are most appropriate, means that the author of the
story purposely gave his characters these names. To me, this would be a
strong indication that not only is the story to a large extent a literary
creation, but that the author wanted to make sure that his audience knew
that it was.
This, of course, is not proof of the date of the story.
BTW, understanding the name "Ruth" as being derived from "re'ut",
"companionship", is from the midrash. More likely the actual etymology of
the name is from RWH, "to satiate".

Yigal Levin