b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Dating the Book of Ruth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Dating the Book of Ruth
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 17:36:49 +0300

Hi,

Joshua seems to me to be a fit name for the man who led Yhwh's people to
defeat many stronger and more powerful nations.

I agree that many names in Genesis had to do with their birth in some way.
But the point is that birth names can also change as the person is better
known for something else. This, of course, is not the norm but the exception
as you note.

However, let's look at the more modern example of how Saul became Paul and
of how the Orthodox church has maintained a tradition of newly baptised
having new names. This is where the Christian tradition of naming children
at their 'christening' comes from.

I don't think the names in Ruth are indicative of age. I don't think they
are indicative of myth genre either. If there is a link between their
actions and their names this is perfectly explainable by their having new
names linked to their deeds. I also have no problems with these names being
given after their deaths for the sake of the story.

James Christian