b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Dating the Book of Ruth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: TedBro AT aol.com
  • To: George.Athas AT moore.edu.au, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Dating the Book of Ruth
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 22:33:46 EDT

Hi, All:

Just curious what would constitute a "late date" for Ruth? Post-exilic?

Ted Brownstein

In a message dated 6/1/2010 9:05:30 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
George.Athas AT moore.edu.au writes:

Bryant Williams asks about the arguments for a late dating of Ruth. Since
this goes beyond the original thread in which it was placed, I've changed
the subject name. Please continue the thread here.

What do we make of some of the personal names in Ruth:

Mahlon = 'Critically ill' (Guess what he does: he dies!)
Chilion = 'Terminally ill' (Guess what he does: he dies!)
Orpah = 'Back-of-the-neck girl' (Guess what she does: she turns her back
on Naomi)
Ruth = 'companion' (Guess what she does: she acts as Naomi's companion)
Naomi = 'Sweetie' (She's anything but, and she knows it, too)
Boaz = 'Strongly/Lively' (Guess what he does: he comes to the rescue)

Should these wordplays figure in a discussion on the dating of the book of
Ruth?