b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Dating the Book of Ruth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Dating the Book of Ruth
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 11:52:56 +0300

But other people seem to have fitting names as well. It's not limited to
people whose name is expicitly recorded to have changed. Adam, Eve, Esau
(Edom), Isaac, Benjamin all seem to have names fitting some aspect of the
story. Then we get Moses. Then we get Joshua. Pretty much most key role
characters have fitting names. Then after David we get Solomon the king of
peaceable times. It's only really after Solomon that key figures like Kings
seem to have names plucked randomly from a pool of Hebrew names. If we were
to go by this pattern for dating purposes then this makes Ruth an early
work. In any case, I'm not sure if I see this as a good guideline for dating
purposes.

James Christian