b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 138:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 138:2
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 10:51:22 -0700

Barry:

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 5:11 AM, Barry H. <nebarry AT verizon.net> wrote:

> … Is it a literary
> device that would make sense in Hebrew?
>
> N.E. Barry Hofstetter
> Classics & Bible Instructor @ The American Academy
> 2010 Salvatori Excellence in Education Winner
> http://theamericanacademy.net
> Mentor, The North American Reformed Seminary
> http://www.tnars.net/
>
> <http://my.opera.com/barryhofstetter/blog>
>
> Yes, but it is unusual.

There are cases where there are lists of nouns lacking the expected W-
prefixes, an example being the list of names that begins Chronicles.

It is possible that this is a copyist error, which is why I asked about
Qumran examples. If so, the answer we got to my question indicates it would
have had to have been very early.

A possible translation I see, “…for you have been caused to be great over
all, even your name and saying.”