b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Biblical Hebrew orthographical practices in light of epigraphy

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: Kevin Riley <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Biblical Hebrew orthographical practices in light of epigraphy
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 13:10:16 +0300

Quite clearly, there were good kings and bad kings. There were periods when
the nation embraced Yhwh as their god and there were periods when they
embraced the neighbouring idols. However, you raise an important issue.
Evidently, if we are to take this story as historic then the copying of this
found scroll was an extremely important and unique link in the chain of the
transmission of the Torah.

However, for those who believe that there is some truth in the Samaritan
claim to have maintained a separate Torah tradition this isn't as
problematic as it would at first seem. The large agreement (except on
doctrinal issues) between the Judean and the Samaritan Torah suggests that
the Torah was pretty much faithfully copied continuously by at least one
line of devout in both kingdoms.

However, the burning question that Yitzhak brings to the fore is whether the
copyists of each generation felt justified in altering spellings to conform
with contemporary practice. The main problem with the issue Yitzhak raises
is that he is yet to show a testified period of inscriptions which conforms
consistently with the Torah spelling. His conclusions seem to be based on
far too many variables and far too many unprovable assumptions.

James Christian