b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Biblical Hebrew orthographical practices in light of epigraphy

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kevin Riley <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Biblical Hebrew orthographical practices in light of epigraphy
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 17:54:15 +1000

On 26/05/2010 5:00 PM, James Christian wrote:
Yitzhak,

the reason I haven't responded to your response of a yodh suggestion is
because, to this very moment, I am still scratching my head in wonder as to
why you think your response is relevant to a practice of being lazy and
missing out the Yohds in gentilics.

Further, things come in and out of fashion. You seem to be assuming that
there was a post-exilic period that Yodhs were used and that before that
they were never *ever* used in gentilics.

Just when the consonantal sequence of the Torah was considered holy we don't
know with certainty. What we do know is that the internal evidence claims
that Joshua made himself a copy and every king had to make himself a copy.
We know that familiarity with the Torah and the teaching of it to his wife
and children was a basic responsibility of each and every family head.

This is indeed recorded in Scripture. But then, it also records that a certain 'book of the law' was found in the temple, and both the priests and the royal court were somewhat surprised by its existence and had to enquire what it was. Can we really assume that what is commanded is also what was done habitually?

Kevin Riley