b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 138:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Barry" <nebarry AT verizon.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 138:2
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 07:00:59 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "George Athas" <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 5:40 AM

Barry, I think the way you are taking it is the same way many versions take it, so you’re in good company.

The NET has an interesting emendation, replacing שִׁמְךָ (‘your name’) with שָׁמֶיךָ (‘your heavens’), rendering the clause: ‘for you have exalted your promise above the entire sky.’

The LXX reflects a text that omits the 2ms pronominal suffix on שֵׁם, with the ensuing rendering: ὅτι ἐμεγάλυνας ἐπὶ πᾶν ὄνομα τὸ λόγιόν σου (‘for you have magnified above every name your word’).

Thanks, George. GJerome and HJerome also render it differently:

HJerome actually follows the LXX: quia magnificasti super omne nomen tuum eloquium tuum, "since you have magnified your communication above every name," suggesting that both Jerome and the LXX translator(s) had the same Hebrew text.

GJerome: quoniam magnificasti super omne nomen sanctum tuum, "for you have magnified your holy name above everything," a bit different.

This is makng me curious as to the possible textual history... :)

Thanks. Personally, I think textual emendation should be the very last of the last resorts, unless there is actual confusion in the mss. A true crux frustrationis is pretty rare in biblical mss!

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Classics and Bible Instructor, TAA
http://www.theamericanacademy.net
(2010 Savatori Excellence in Education Winner)
Mentor, TNARS
http://www.tnars.net

http://mysite.verizon.net/nebarry