b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Biblical Hebrew orthographical practices in light of epigraphy

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Biblical Hebrew orthographical practices in light of epigraphy
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 19:14:47 +0300

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 6:38 PM, K Randolph wrote:

> While this license agreement is far more restrictive than fair use law (at
> least U.S. law), it still allows a professor to republish images on handouts
> to use in class, and in short comments used in journals. It also says
> nothing about not sending the images to others as attachments to emails,
> though the images may not be posted online.

I believe "in any form on the internet" (#3) includes email attachments and
that "publication" includes short comments used in journals of which only
one example is "article-length study." In any case, what's wrong with asking
for permission?

>>  Incidentally, you might consider filling out the form and faxing it in...

> Definitely. Will they accept B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org> as an
> institution?

I think I marked myself as independent.

>> in a possibly cognate language.
>>
>> I'm going to interject here and ask that you explain why you think the
>> Gezer
>> calendar to be in Hebrew and not in a cognate language.  This will help me
>> in
>> other cases of possibly Hebrew possibly cognate language inscriptions.

> I see no clear signs that it is a cognate language.

What would such signs be, for example?

>> I see you did not respond to the examples from Lachish 3.

> How can I comment on something I have not seen? What about the rest of
> Lachish?

>From the mail to James:

> Lachish 3 has -th endings for the 2ms suffix, but has
> the spelling להגד for Biblical להגיד (found in the Bible always with a -y-,
> about 25 times or so), הנבא for Biblical הנביא) (found in the Bible over a
> hundred times, also always with a -y-). It also has אתה for Biblical אותו
> (it,
> 1ms suffixed direct object marker). Unfortunately, the direct object marker
> occurs too many times in the Bible that the concordance I have doesn't list
> them, so I can't tell you how many times it is found with a final -w. But
> it
> is always spelled with a final -w.

You can see a standard transcription and translation of Lachish 3 here:
http://www.kchanson.com/ANCDOCS/westsem/lachish3.html

>> As for Siloam and Gezer, I also see your reading is extremely different
>> from
>> anything I would consider.  Can you please give your transcription and
>> translation for these?

> Transcription? To what? Except where damaged, the Siloam inscription is
> clear Hebrew script and I have never translated it. The shapes of the
> letters in the Gezar calendar are more uneven, but still clear.

You divide the words differently on the Gezer calendar than practically
everyone
else in the world, so I am asking for a transcription (as this may be
the case in
Siloam, I ask for Siloam's transcription as well), so I can see the words you
interpret.

You translate things differently in Siloam ("fire" rather than "man"),
so I would
like to see the full translation as you read it. Again, it appears
you have your
own independent reading from everyone else.

Yitzhak Sapir