b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Biblical Hebrew orthographical practices in light of epigraphy

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Biblical Hebrew orthographical practices in light of epigraphy
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 13:32:02 -0700

Yitzhak:

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 4:04 AM, K Randolph wrote:
> > Yitzhak:
> > but publishing an image with your own commentary is fair use, i.e.
> allowed.
>
> No, it is not. See for example the Use Agreement at
> http://www.inscriptifact.com/

For the list, the images are 1) for study purposes, 2) not part of a book or
feature article, and 3) for technical reasons you probably cannot publish
those images on b-hebrew mailing list, but you may send them privately to
others on the list. Fair use even by this license agreement, which is more
restrictive than Fair Use copywrite law.

> > I suspect you don’t have any Hebrew examples, only
> > those from cognate languages; those I have already rejected for reasons
> > already given. I have photographs of both the Gezar calendar and the
> Siloam
> > inscription, neither of which back up your claims. So which Hebrew
> > inscriptions are there that do support your claims?
>
> This is really interesting, because I consider the Gezer calendar to be in
> possibly cognate language. In any case, the following are signficant
> differences
> in orthography between the Bible and the above two mentioned inscriptions.
> See the response to James (probably over your limit) for other examples
> from
> Lachish 3:
>
> Siloam -
>
> אש - The word 'man' is always spelled איש in the Bible, well over a
> thousand times,
> and never with yodh. The spelling אש is reserved in the Bible for 'fire'.

“Flame”, “spark”, synonyms of “fire” are used in the Bible for the metal
head of a tool or weapon, so here it refers to the head of a pickax, which
would be heard long before human voices. I already mentioned this.

> הית - The 3fs form appears in the Bible only in 2 Ki 9:37 without a
> final he.

Are you sure this is a Qal 3fs verb?

> חצבם - The word appears in the Bible four times,

According to Lisowski as a verb חצב appears 16 times, eight times as a noun,
“their excavating” חצבם is correct Biblical Hebrew.

> Gezer -

Don’t forget that this appears to be the work of a child, evidence for that
include the uneven letters and “my father” in the lower left corner.

> My reading is either one of verbal nouns (אסיף, עציד) or one of verbs
> (איספו, עצדו).

“My reading” i.e. yours, my reading is different.

> Again, you have the lack of yodh (as always in epigraphic inscriptions) in
> שערם.

Or does the mem belong to the line below? There it fits the curve of the
line of writing.

> But you also have lexical differences - the word ירח in the Gezer
> inscription
> appears practically the same amount of times as it appears in the entire
> Bible.

Irrelevant. That it appears in the Bible with the same meaning is
sufficient.

> You even have a whole new morphological category -
> dual (probably absolute) - with a final waw.

That is a prefix to the following verb.