b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Seir

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: jimstinehart AT aol.com
  • To: kwrandolph AT gmail.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Seir
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 22:09:41 -0400

Karl:

You wrote: “Why do you add what is not in the text, in this case
“exhausted”? From the text of Genesis, Jacob was a careful shepherd whose
flocks were healthy, not exhausted. And in order to keep them healthy, he
refused to push them.”

Not only is it logical and inevitable that the flock would be exhausted,
after Jacob had pushed the flock quickly all the long way from the upper
Euphrates River to Gilead, but the text explicitly says that:

“My lord [Esau] knows that…the nursing flocks and herds are a care to me. If
they are driven hard for one day, all the flocks will die.” Genesis 33: 13

Perhaps Jacob is exaggerating somewhat here, but it’s certainly true that the
flock was “exhausted” at this point and time. The text makes absolutely
clear that Esau can see for himself that Jacob’s flock is exhausted.
Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois