b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Seir

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Seir
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 02:03:31 -0700

Ishinan:

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 12:29 AM, Ishinan <ishinan AT comcast.net> wrote:

> Previously [JIM STINEHART] wrote:
>
> " To my assertion that "Seir" literally means "hairy", and hence "
> well-wooded", you responded: "No, it does not. That is a fairy tale that
> you made up."

Sorry, this quote is from me, not George Athas. His responses are a lot more
restrained than mine.

> [GEORGE ATHAS] - Where do you possibly see ???? meaning 'forest'? You
> simply
> have not nailed this down. There is a big difference between 'hair' and
> 'wooded forest'. Until you can produce a firm linguistic connection there,
> you are either speculating at best, or just making it up. Either way,
> that's
> NOT GOOD METHOD! If you were doing a research degree, you'd be panned by
> your supervisor for this and sent back to do some basic linguistics.

It sounds like George Athas criticizes BDB as using poor method.

> … I have to express my disagreement with your
> assessment of Jim's etymology of ????

Are you using a mail server that won’t handle UTF-8? Google mail was
designed to handle UTF-8, yet your message comes in with multiple question
marks.

> The accusations leveled at Jim on THIS particular point, in my opinion, do
> not hold water. I personally checked his assertion and this is what I
> found.
>
> Based on Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew and English Lexicon p. 973,…

This is what is contested as being legitimate. Just because a word in one
language has a certain meaning, does it necessarily follow that another
language use the same word in exactly the same way? The answer is clearly
“no”.

> However, in his assertion, Jim made two minute mistakes. First, he
> neglected to give the page # of the entry in the BDB.

Yes he did give the page #.