b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Seir

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Seir
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 10:54:21 +1000

Jim, I really don’t want to engage with your views because they appear to be
based on faulty method and, therefore, logic. So, I’m forcing myself to
engage here.

First of all, your etymology just doesn’t work. If there is a ghayin in שׂער
then you would expect this reflected in cognate languages, such as Arabic, or
in transliteration into other languages, such as Greek. But it isn’t. It just
plain isn’t. So that theory is dead.

Where do you possibly see שׂער meaning ‘forest’? You simply have not nailed
this down. There is a big difference between ‘hair’ and ‘wooded forest’.
Until you can produce a firm linguistic connection there, you are either
speculating at best, or just making it up. Either way, that’s NOT GOOD
METHOD! If you were doing a research degree, you’d be panned by your
supervisor for this and sent back to do some basic linguistics.

So please stop trying our collective patience with these way-out theories
that have little factual basis. I have no doubt you’ll come back and protest
against this claim, and deliver an essay in support of your theory. Yet I’m
fairly certain, based on past form, that what you produce in reply will not
advance your cause any further.

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au