b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 30:20-30

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: stoneyb AT touchwoodcreative.com
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 30:20-30
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 20:06:18 +0300

George,

you raise a number of issues:

1) Who gave who the authority to classify which parts of Greek literature?

2) When did I claim that the 'aetiology' in Genesis is from a legend?

3) What aspects of finding some hot springs in a desert to be typical of a
legendary epic of heroism?

There is nothing spectacular in the tale in itself. It's purpose is
evidently to help readers in some way identify with what is otherwise a dry,
dull and boring genealogy. The logical conclusion is that the author had
good reason to assume his readership were familiar with the tale of a guy
who found some hot springs in the desert not too far away from Seir. And so
the analytical question that remains is which group of people were most
likely to have been familiar with such a tail:

1: The returning Jews from Babylon?
2: The average temple goers of the first temple?
3: The Israelites of a rising Kingdom in Canaan?
4: A bunch of refugee nomads in the desert very close to said hot springs?

My opinion, not guided by faith but by common sense is that the likelihood
increases as you go down the list. You're welcome to disagree but you would
need to come up with some kind of plausible model that builds the foundation
of your reasoning.

In conclusion, this was either a very expert attempt at date forgery or a
good indicator of an early composition.

James Christian