b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ps 22:18 (was: Masoretic vowels -a good starting point )

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ps 22:18 (was: Masoretic vowels -a good starting point )
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 13:25:13 +0300

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 4:35 AM, Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com> wrote:

> It is possible to read (that is, 'to interpret')
> a smixut noun on a prepositional phrase, as in the phrase
> e.g., kol Hosey-bo  'all refuge-finders-of-in-him'.

Do you have any other examples besides Ps 2:12?

In a synchronic reading, it appears to be an archaic use of -e as an
independent
plural, as in xalone 1 Ki 6:4 or mal'akhe Ps 78:49, and in comparison with
Ps 34:23.

In a diachronic reading, I'd consider the possibility that it is an archaic
independent singular form of IIIy verbs used here as a collective. In a
IIIy verb, the reconstructed form *qa:ti:l would have a long -i: in the end,
and might not have developed to an -e- vowel like in the common form
qo:te:l, etc. The consonantal text in this interpretation should be read
as [xo:si:] and understood as an archaic independent singular.

Yitzhak Sapir