b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ps 22:18 (was: Masoretic vowels -a good starting point )

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ps 22:18 (was: Masoretic vowels -a good starting point )
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 12:32:00 -0700

James:

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 9:31 AM, James Christian
<jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>wrote:

> Yitzhak does raise a valid point about the shape of the aleph though.

Yes, there is. But if this were a waw, there would be a wiggle in the waw
that is not found in other examples on this MMS. Further, this would be the
only example where two letters impinged on each other in this scrap. With
the fact that the ink apparently bled over time, that could cause an
apparent wiggle in the aleph when one originally may not have existed.

So it’s really somewhat of a judgement call, and people can disagree.

> I haven't checked the image to see if this is true. I haven't been
> interested enough by the topic to look into in any depth. Just wanted to
> make sure list members were aware of the issues involved with digital
> reconstructions. We so often here people talking about digital
> reconstructions as if they were reliable or confirmatory in some way.
> Whereas, in reality, they are as subjective as the method used to achieve
> them.
>
> James Christian
>
> It doesn’t help this this copy was apparently rather quickly and sloppily
done, not the fine letters found on other MMS.