b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew morphology computer program?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew morphology computer program?
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 11:52:17 -0800

Richard:

I would use this as an opportunity to learn Biblical Hebrew. You are using
the morphology code as a crutch and excuse not to learn.

While it is true that back in the dead tree days, I used the equivalent
(analytical lexicon) to learn Hebrew, even before the book fell apart, I
seldom used it for the morphology, rather mostly for the meanings.

What I have learned is that these morphology guides are based on the
Mastoretic points, and sometimes those points are wrong as far as meaning is
concerned. Some of the more difficult passages can be cleaned up by changing
the dots. This is another reason you need to learn to read Hebrew on your
own.

Karl W. Randolph.